Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Granola Bars

I am sick of food prices going up. Things I bought 5 years ago are like $3 more than they use to be-it's ridiculous. Granola bars were a staple at our house, but I got to the point where we really couldn't afford them any more. So, now we make our own. My husband and kids like these better than the store bought ones and I like making something healthy for my family.Homemade Granola Bars
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups instant oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup add-in*
Heat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, oats, sugar, applesauce, egg and cinnamon. Stir the mix with wooden spoon till you have crumbly dough. Fold in the add-ins. Press dough into an ungreased 9x13 pan and bake 17 minutes or until bars are lightly browned. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into bars. Makes 1 1/2 dozen 2x3 inch bars.
*Add-in ideas: coconut flakes, raisins, craisins, chopped dried pineapple, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, etc. (You can combine add-in's but make sure that only a total of 1 cup is added to dough.)

No comments:

Post a Comment