Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

My husband is a good sport. He puts up with a lot from me...especially my odd reading habits. I read cookbooks in bed like they are novels. I find it relaxing and that's about the only time I get some days to get my creative juices flowing. I got Rachael Ray's new cookbook for Christmas and I quickly put it to good use. This recipe is comfort food all the way! I would like to pass it off as healthy, but after the amount of cheese I put into it, that probably would not be truthful.

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
rachael ray

2 1 /2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt
4 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
2 tsp grated orange zest
1 cup sour cream
pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 lbs ground turkey
1 large onion
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2-3 large garlic cloves
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1/2 cup tomato paste
2-3 cups chicken stock
2 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese

Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot, then mash with butter, orange zest, and sour cream. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
While the potatoes are coming to a boil, heat chili pot or oven proof skillet. Add the turkey and brown, breaking up the meat and adding the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes while you chop the chili peppers, bell pepper, and garlic. Add the peppers and garlic to the pot, season with the spices, salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes more. Stir in tomato paste for 1 minute, then add the stock and simmer for a few minutes longer to thicken and combine the flavors.
Preheat the broiler. Place chili in casserole dish or leave in skillet if it is oven proof. Spread mashed potatoes over the chili, and cover with cheddar cheese. Brown under the broiler until golden.
Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment