Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Pizza

I LOVE anything with a spinach and artichoke combo! I have been finding recipes lately with a variety of ways to use the combination besides in a dip form. I have a Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese that is too die for. I will have to post that one soon. Tonight I turned the combo into pizza. My little guy thought having a green pizza was "cool". It was delicious and we didn't have much left over.
Spinach-Artichoke Pizza
adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray
*pizza dough
2 TBSP butter
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and pepper
3 TBSP flour
1 1/2 cups milk
dash of nutmeg
2 (10 oz) boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 (16 oz) can artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
sprinkle of thyme
Prepare pizza dough according to directions. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk and season with nutmeg. Cook until thickened-about 5 minutes.
Pull the spinach apart, then add to the sauce. Stir in the artichokes and heat through. Stir in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
Spread mixture over prepared pizza dough and top with mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with thyme. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
* for my pizza dough I use the same recipe as my homemade bread-visit www.pantrysecrets.net to learn more about that recipe. A pizza stone is ideal (sprinkled with some cornmeal to prevent sticking) but not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment